Knoxville Photo 2018 | June 1-29, 2018 at the Emporium Center, Knoxville, TN
Entry form at bottom of page, or download the application here (PDF).
Entries due by midnight on Sunday, March 25, 2018
Statement of Purpose
Hosted by the Arts & Culture Alliance, the sixth annual Knoxville Photo was developed to provide a forum for artists to compete on a national scale and display their work. Approximately 40-50 photographic works from both emerging and established artists will be selected by the juror, Leigh Mitchell, for exhibition in the main gallery of the beautifully-restored Emporium Center at 100 S. Gay Street, Knoxville’s downtown arts anchor location. The Emporium is free and open to the public Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM (and additional hours for special events).
Leigh Mitchell is a fine art photographer and educator. She was a college instructor for over ten years, teaching Film Photography I and II, Digital Photography I and II, and Photography Appreciation. She obtained a bachelor’s degree in Human Studies from Warren Wilson College and a master’s degree in Studio Art from Western Carolina University. Her work has been in galleries locally and nationally, including The Center for Fine Art Photography (Fort Collins, CO), Rochester Contemporary Art Center (Rochester, NY), Five Spot (Atlanta, GA), The Asheville Art Museum, and The Asheville Area Arts Council.
At least $1,000 in cash awards will be presented at the exhibition’s Opening Reception on June 1, 2018. Awards include: $500 Best in Show, five $100 Best of Category awards, and a cash award for Best Work by an Alliance member. Exhibiting artists will receive a catalog at the close of the exhibition. Awards are as designated by the juror, whose decision is final.
Eligibility and Size Requirements
I. Works may not have previously exhibited in any exhibition at the Emporium Center or in any Alliance satellite gallery (including Knoxville’s McGhee Tyson Airport).
II. Entries must be original works taken within the last two years in the following categories:
- The Human Experience (streetscapes, cityscapes, environmental/human portraiture)
- Our Earth (landscapes, animals, nature – should not include man-made objects in the imagery)
- Still Life (other inanimate objects)
- Travel (any subject or genre, taken while away from home – may include man-made objects in the imagery)
- Digital Imagination (digitally enhanced in the camera or in post-production, including composites, montages, abstracts)
III. Photography submitted may be enhanced (saturation, tonal levels, brightness, focus stacking, etc.) using any of the tools available in a post-graphics editing program such as Photoshop or Lightroom.
IV. Images cannot be altered from their original state with additions (imported items from another image) or significantly changed from their original state (using in-camera techniques or editing programs) except in the “Digital Imagination” category.
V. The maximum allowed size of image (unframed) is 40” x 40”.
VI. Works must be suitably framed/mounted and WIRED to fit over a 5” wide hook for installation to match the current hanging system (Walker Display).
VII. Please, no ornate frames or glass; simple, lightweight frames with plexiglas are preferred.
The juror reserves the right to disqualify any work not suitably presented or that varies from the submitted image.
The nonrefundable entry fee is $30 for up to three images ($20 for Arts & Culture Alliance members and students). Up to seven additional images may be submitted for $5/each ($4 for members/students). Diptychs are considered one work. Works are juried by digital image only; awards will be selected by the juror in person. Send digital images as JPG files, identifying image with entry form letter (A-J) and title of work (example: A.Title.jpg), at least 1600 pixels on longest side, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application may be filled out online below; OR, paper application may be mailed, faxed (865-523-7312), or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Images may be sent via e-mail or on CD/flash drive.
Entry fees may be paid by check or credit card below.
Application, images and fees must be received by midnight on Sunday, March 25, 2018.
All artists will receive a confirmation of their received entry when it has been processed.
Sales & Commission
Every effort is made to promote sales. All sales are handled by the Arts & Culture Alliance, who retains a 25% commission (20% for cash and check sales). To operate in accordance with the Tennessee Department of Revenue guidelines, the Alliance will add sales tax to the price of each work that sells from the Emporium and for which it collects payment. Sold works are to remain in the exhibition until its official closing date and time, unless an alternate arrangement can be reached that is mutually agreeable to the Alliance, the Artist, and the purchaser of the artwork.
Shipment and Delivery
Shipping artwork to and from the exhibit is the responsibility of the artist. Please, no polystyrene peanuts. All shipped work must be prepaid. A check for return shipping must be received in an amount based on the stated insurance value of the piece. (Please consider that shipping costs increase over time and the return shipping may be more expensive after the duration of the exhibition than the initial shipping cost). Artist may use his/her own shipping company preference and is responsible for scheduling delivery and pick up of work. Works must be shipped in very sturdy cardboard boxes or crates. Up to $50 will be charged for replacement crates and boxes not safe enough to return works. Please be sure to include detailed packing instructions along with shipped pieces. Works must be labeled with title and artist’s name. Late or damaged work is not accepted.
Ship/deliver artwork to:
Arts & Culture Alliance, 100 S Gay Street, Suite 201, Knoxville, TN 37902
Attn: KNOXVILLE PHOTO 2018
Schedule for Knoxville Photo 2018
- Entry forms, images, and fees received in Arts & Culture Alliance office by: midnight on Sunday, March 25, 2018
- Acceptance notification sent: Tuesday, April 17
- Hand delivery dates to Emporium Center: Tuesday-Wednesday, May 29-30, between 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM. **Shipped works must arrive by 5:00 PM on Wednesday, May 30. Please note, the Emporium will be closed on Monday, May 28.
- Exhibit opens to the public with reception and Awards Ceremony: “First Friday”, June 1, 2018, 5:00-9:00 PM with awards announced at 6:00 PM.
- Exhibition dates: June 1-29, 2018
- Gallery hours: Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM (and additional hours for special events)
- Pick-up work (no work is released before end of show): Monday, July 2, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Shipped works will be crated and ready for pick up by July 23, 2018.
No work is released before the end of the exhibition. Any artwork left beyond 45 days after the last day of the exhibition may become property of the Alliance.
Handling, Theft, Damage or Loss
The Alliance agrees to handle all artwork with proper care so that artwork will not be damaged, excepting ordinary wear and tear. The Alliance shall not be liable for damage or loss caused by war, confiscation, order of any government or public authority, or by any and all causes beyond the control of the Alliance. The Alliance agrees to notify Artist within 36 hours by telephone, e-mail, and/or by written notification upon the event of any theft, damage or loss that occurs while artwork is in the possession of the Alliance. In the event of loss or damage to artwork at fault of the Alliance, the Alliance agrees to compensate up to reasonable market value on each artwork as agreed upon by Artist and the Alliance’s Executive Director.
Unless otherwise specified, ACA will insure up to $25,000 on all artwork in the Emporium throughout the exhibition. If necessary, Artist will insure work above that amount. Unclaimed hand-delivered work is not insured after the posted pick-up date. It is the artist’s responsibility to provide all insurance on works during shipment.
Receipt of the completed form constitutes your agreement with all conditions established in the prospectus. The Alliance reserves the right to use artist information and images for publicizing the event and/or on the website at www.knoxalliance.com. Consent to reproduce works photographically is assumed to be granted unless stated otherwise.
About the Arts & Culture Alliance
The Arts & Culture Alliance serves and supports a diverse community of artists, arts organizations, and cultural institutions. The Alliance receives financial support from the Tennessee Arts Commission. http://tnartscommission.org
1) Please make the appropriate payment via credit card payment here, and then 2) return to this page to complete the entry form below. This is a two-step process! The entry fees are:
- $20 for members of the Arts & Culture Alliance (or students) – 3 entries
- $24 for members of the Arts & Culture Alliance (or students) – 4 entries
- $28 for members of the Arts & Culture Alliance (or students) – 5 entries
- $32 for members of the Arts & Culture Alliance (or students) – 6 entries
- $36 for members of the Arts & Culture Alliance (or students) – 7 entries
- $40 for members of the Arts & Culture Alliance (or students) – 8 entries
- $44 for members of the Arts & Culture Alliance (or students) – 9 entries
- $48 for members of the Arts & Culture Alliance (or students) – 10 entries
- $30 for non-members – 3 entries
- $35 for non-members – 4 entries
- $40 for non-members – 5 entries
- $45 for non-members – 6 entries
- $50 for non-members – 7 entries
- $55 for non-members – 8 entries
- $60 for non-members – 9 entries
- $65 for non-members – 10 entries
IMPORTANT! After making payment, please return to this page to fill out the form below (and be sure to click the submit button at the end of the form).
Upon successful submission of the form, you should receive a copy to your e-mail address, and this page will refresh). Images must be sent separately by e-mail or on CD (there is no option to upload images at this time).